01 December 2009

Dear Soldier

Dear Soldier;

I don't know how long you've been overseas, but I'd like to give you a streamlined breakdown of 2009. In January, of course, President Barack Obama (the first African-American president EVARRR) was inaugurated. Personally, I support Obama, except the whole Guantanamo Bay thing. In an effort to eradicate torture, he released all the prisoners of war being kept "unreasonably" there. I don't support torture, of course, but I also don't believe that suspected or confirmed terrorists should be given civilian trials, I think they should be given military trials, sans the rights of American citizens. Because they're not American citizens. Other than that, though, I totally support Obama.


Then in February, Slumdog Millionaire swept the Academy Awards, taking home eight wins, including the coveted Best Picture and Best Director. Best Actor went to Sean Penn for Milk (which I didn't see) and Best Actress went to Kate Winslet for the Reader. And of course, the late Heath Ledger won a posthumous Best Supporting for his disturbing portrayal of The Joker in the latest installment of the Batman franchise, The Dark Knight (which was AMAZINGLY GOOD; I mean even aside from Ledger, the writing was fantastic and the art direction was essentially flawless. And Maggie Gyllenhaal was really good as Rachel Dawes).


In recent news, supermodel Heidi Klum gave birth to her fourth child, Jessica Simpson and Tony Romo broke up, and John Mayer's sophomore effort is full of shots at his famous ex-girlfriends. I'm really tired of Jessica Simpson being in tabloids because she sucks at everything she does. Her acting sucks, her apparel label is a failure, and her music is useless. She's almost as bad as those trollops off The Hills.


Also, New Moon came out, blah blah blah, Twilight. Whatever.
So that's pretty much the super important stuff of 2009. I can't really think of anything else worth mentioning...

Be safe. Come home.
Sincerely,
Emily Sheldon, Bayshore High School

3 comments:

Swanson said...

You gave an interesting synapsis of the year's events in your letter.

Anonymous said...

yes she's quite skilled at mieosis

Unknown said...

Lovecraft.
http://iwl.me/s/147eabd8

Old...