19 November 2009

iMovie Reflections

What did I learn about iMovie? I learned that it's a heinously complicated program with weird parameters and edit modes. It's not user-friendly at ALL. I'm very disappointed with it. I like Mac a lot, but iMovie is a total fail. I had to get Cassie to help me fix the scroll function, the text, and the music -- things I should have been able to figure out, if the program had given me any better context clues or instructions or even labeled diagrams. FFS.

Anyway, I learned a lot about Anthony Frederick Sandys. I really like his paintings; I wanted to do my project on him because of one painting in particular, Mary Magdalene. My mom went to see an exhibit at the Ringling about the Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood (she went when I was out of town; I missed the exhibit -_-) and showed me a brochure from it. On the cover was this beautiful painting with bright, almost sick-looking colors, a lot of red (which is very visually striking/aesthetically pleasing to me) and sharp yellow. The painting was of a young woman holding a goblet. She had this very modern look of defeat on her face. Even though the painting is of Mary Magdalene, Jesus' purported wife, there's a very modern feel to it. The painting was made in the Victorian era, at the height of Pre-Raphaelite influence. Sandys himself was a personal friend of Dante Gabriel Rossetti, one of the leaders of the movement.

I honestly don't think I'll be able to use iMovie even after this project. I wouldn't want to, anyway. I like that you can add music and export it for upload to YouTube and iPhone/iPod, but besides that I am not a fan. Despite the program, I enjoyed this project. I love Sandys' work.

3 comments:

Swanson said...

You really found a great artist. I was very impressed with your imovie. I found the tutorials helped.

BECK said...

Unknown said...

Kurt Vonnegut. Nice!
http://iwl.me/s/8ccf5154

Old...