16 November 2009

THE MOST EVIL MACBETH CHARACTER? o_O

The most evil Macbeth character, in my opinion, even though I'm sure everyone else said the same thing (except Beck who said PB&J), is Lady Macbeth. She kind of takes some information that she's given and runs with it - it's basically her who tells Macbeth to kill the king, etc. She obviously wants to better her economic and social standing. I mean, I wonder if she even really cares about Macbeth at all. I would be interested to read a psychoanalytical interpretation of her actions in the play. I have ten sentences to go for this blog to be acceptable. What else can I say about Lady Macbeth?

I liked the lady who played her in that weird textbook movie we watched in Ladd's class. She did a good job of portraying like innocent evil. She decided to play the character (passionately) in love with Macbeth. I think if it were me, I'd play down the love. I mean, when you think about it, marriages back then were more like business transactions. A couple was matched up for economic and financial reasons. The play doesn't give much back story about Macbeth, but if he's a lord he must have had a good standing early on in life. Which means his parents were most likely wealthy. Which means that they probably matched him with Lady Macbeth to conjoin lands with her family. So in reality, Lady Macbeth and Macbeth would probably not have had such a passionate marriage.

Although on the other hand the weird textbook movie was supposed to be a modern retelling, and we don't do that anymore...so...Who knows...

But anyway yeah. Most evil character in Macbeth is the notorious Lady Macbeth. Fin.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

The Notorious Lady Macbeth would make a good rapper name. There's a possible future for you, rap superstar Notorious Lady Macbeth.

e m i l y y said...

I'd shorten it to the Notorious Lady Mac. Now that's a rapper name.

Unknown said...

H.P. Lovecraft. I wish it had said Shakespeare.
http://iwl.me/s/147eabd8

Old...